Monday, June 15, 2009

first day of work

I got to work at 7:50 and there was nobody down in my department.  I debated what to do for a second, then walked up the stairs to HR.  On my way up, I passed the VP, Jason, who then walked with me to HR.  I signed some tax forms and heard about benefits for a little while, got a tour, and met the CEO Tim Ash.  He was dressed really casual and seems like a good guy. Then I was on my own for about an hour, so I sat at my desk and fiddled around with setting up my computer.  Joe, the web developer, helped me log in, but he was out last Thurs and Fri, so he had to catch up for a while.  And the marketing manager wasn't available until 9:30, who wanted to meet with me.  Oh yeah, and my boss? She wasn't in today.  Neither was the graphic artist.  So basically, out of the team I work with, 1 person was there.  Great.

When I finally met with the marketing guy, Craig, he pretty much said welcome, keep me in the loop, do good work, and Joe will fill you in.  Length of meeting: less than 3 minutes.

I went and got lunch and also went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to kill time.  I get an hour for lunch.  I need to talk to my boss about this and see if I have to take that much time.  They say they work "bankers hours" from 8-5.  But it seems like my job isn't very contingent on that.  I'm hoping I can either work 8-4:30 or 8:30-5 and take a 30 min lunch most days.  An hour is way too long for me.

After lunch, Joe had the site "set up" for me to work on.  He changed the way it worked in some way to give me access but keep the site secure.  I'm not entirely sure how this whole thing is supposed to work.  I've never worked with an "advanced" site.  The pages are html, but also work off of some form of a database and use php.  I had a mild freakout in the middle of the day due to the fact that I had no training and was sitting there "working" having no clue what I was really doing.  I have full access to the css files for the layout, but so far he only gave me the index page for the html.

It was a LONG day that really dragged.  I hope it's better once everyone is there and I start to understand what is going on.  The one bright spot, is my computer is a BEAST.  Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xenon processors (that's 8 processors!), with 6 gigs of ram and 1.5 terabytes of storage.  It runs windows and Mac on 2, 24-inch Apple cinema screens.  WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment